Steven D. Manning is the Firm Managing Partner of Manning Kass. He is a member of the Governmental Entity Liability team.
Mr. Manning has deep roots in the Los Angeles community. Son of former Los Angeles City Fire Department Chief, Donald O. Manning, he was born and raised in the city. Mr. Manning is a graduate of the California State University, Los Angeles, and Whittier Law School, where he was chief research editor of the Whittier Law Review and author of an article on securities regulations. He is an experienced trial lawyer in both state and federal court and has taught seminars in trial preparation, trial advocacy, and the defense of federal constitutional law. Earlier in his career, Mr. Manning led the team of attorneys at the firm who concentrate in defending police officers, sheriff's deputies, and other public officials in lawsuits arising out of the performance of their official duties. He also organized a group of law enforcement defense attorneys outside the firm in both the Greater Los Angeles area and in San Diego County, who would meet to share information and to develop common strategies for defending police civil liability suits.
Mr. Manning has also been called to testify before Congress on issues regarding federal law and police civil liability. Most recently, he received the Alumnus of the Year Award for Outstanding Professional Achievement from Whittier Law School and has been accepted as a life member of the National Registry of Who's Who.
Mr. Manning coauthored an op-ed article in the Los Angeles Times, which analyzed the Kolts Commission Report. In December 1991, Mr. Manning orally argued an emergency appeal before the Ninth Circuit on a widely publicized county-wide injunction against the L.A. County Sheriff's Department. In November 1992, he was profiled in a cover article in California Lawyer about attorneys who handle high-profile police civil liability cases. Mr. Manning has been named a 2004–2011 Super Lawyer, a distinction awarded to no more than five percent of attorneys in a state who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
- Manning Kass Earns Top 10 Finish For Diversity Amongst Equity Partners
- Manning & Kass, Ellrod, Ramirez, Trester LLP Rebrands as Manning Kass
- Manning & Kass Jumps 28 Spots on NLJ 500 List
- Manning & Kass Makes Los Angeles Business Journal 2017 List of Top Firms
- Manning & Kass Named One of Los Angeles County's Largest Law Firms
- Steven D. Manning, Jenifer Wallis Selected by Los Angeles Business Journal as Leader in Law Finalists
- Manning & Kass Climbs 9 Spaces on NLJ 500 List
- Manning & Kass Celebrates 22nd Anniversary
- Manning & Kass Celebrates Los Angeles Business Journal's Corporate Counsel Awards
- California 50 Survey Charts "Significant Growth" at Manning & Kass
- "Big Law, Big Lease" Covers Manning & Kass Lease Resigning, Los Angeles Business Journal
- Early Ambitions panning out at full-service Los Angeles Firm, The Daily Journal
- Whittier Law School, Juris Doctor, cum laude
- Chief Research Editor, Whittier Law Review
- California State University, Los Angeles, Bachelor of Science