Eugene P. Ramirez is a Founding Partner in the Los Angeles office of Manning Kass. He is the leader of the Constitutional Policing, Governmental Entity Liability, Military and Veterans Law, and School Civil Liability teams.
Mr. Ramirez is a frequently quoted national expert in police use of Body Worn Cameras. He serves as general counsel for both the California Association of Tactical Officers (CATO) and United States Police Canine Association and is a former legal section chair for the National Tactical Officers Association (NTOA).
Mr. Ramirez is frequently invited to speak to law enforcement agencies across the United States on the use of force, handling high-profile cases, and risk management issues. The Daily Journal chose his defense case as a Top Verdict in 2022. In 2019, he was named a "Top Litigator and Trial Attorney" by the Los Angeles Business Journal. He was selected as the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department’s Trial Lawyer of the Year in 1993 and 2006, by two different Sheriffs. He was selected as the 2009 Alumni Attorney of the Year for Whittier School of Law. He was also selected in 2011 as one of the Top 25 Municipal Attorneys in California by the Daily Journal, California’s largest legal news provider, who stated, “When local law enforcement agencies get in trouble, they call Ramirez.”
Mr. Ramirez has been profiled in the California Lawyer Magazine for his law enforcement defense work, and has been honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Association of Los Angeles Deputy Sheriffs (ALADS). He has also been named as a 2005–2011 and 2014–2017 Super Lawyer for Southern California. This award only goes to the top 5% of attorneys in the Los Angeles/Orange County Bar. He was also named to the distinguished American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), an award only bestowed upon proven trial attorneys.
Mr. Ramirez is experienced in defending SWAT teams in civil liability cases. He is an instructor on liability issues for the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Basic SWAT School, and also for the California Association of Tactical Officers (CATO) and the National Tactical Officers’ Association (NTOA). He was a member of the State Attorney General’s Blue Ribbon SWAT Committee, and POST’s Executive Advisory Committee for SWAT Teams. He is a former member of the LAPD Board of Inquiry (which examined LAPD SWAT operations) and an approved California POST instructor.
He serves as an advisor to several public entities on the issues of use of force, canine and SWAT issues and policies and procedures. Mr. Ramirez acquired significant expertise on civil liability arising out of the use of police dogs in law enforcement by winning several cases, and has lectured on the subject to police departments nationwide. He has provided training to thousands of canine officers and supervisors, from around the country and Canada, for more than 20 years. He has authored several articles for the USPCA's Canine Courier.
Before joining the firm, Mr. Ramirez worked as a deputy district attorney for the L.A. County District Attorney's Office, where he conducted numerous misdemeanor and felony jury trials, including murder trials. He has also worked as a reserve police officer for the Whittier police department and the Monterey Park police department.
He graduated from Whittier College School of Law, where he was notes & comments editor of the Law Review, a member of the Moot Court Honors Board, and president of the Student Bar Association. At Whittier, he received an award as the Best Oral Advocate and the Outstanding Moot Court Graduate Award. He received his undergraduate degree in Political Science from California State University, Long Beach, where he minored in Criminal Justice & Public Policy.
- Manning Kass Launches Constitutional Policing Team
- Manning Kass Team Has A Motion For Summary Judgment Granted And Featured In The Daily Journal
- Manning Kass Earns Top 10 Finish For Diversity Amongst Equity Partners
- Manning Kass Team Earns Win In Federal Court For County Of San Bernardino
- Nine Manning Kass Attorneys Listed In Lawyers of Color’s Law Firm Leader’s Issue
- Founding Partner Eugene P. Ramirez's Trial Victory Chosen Among Top Verdicts Of 2022
- Manning & Kass, Ellrod, Ramirez, Trester LLP Rebrands as Manning Kass
- Manning & Kass Earns Reversal of District Court's MSJ Order for Defendant LAPD Officer
- Founding Partner Eugene P. Ramirez Earns Defense Verdict in Wrongful Death Suit
- Manning & Kass Strengthens Government Entity Defense Team with Five Renowned Industry Veterans
- Eugene Ramirez Interviewed in Live Global News Program on Police Reform
- Manning & Kass Launches Initiative to Defend Privacy of Police Personnel Records
- Governmental Entity Liability Team’s Training Highlighted in Police1 Article
- Eugene P. Ramirez to Present at IMLA’s 85th Annual Conference
- Eugene P. Ramirez to Present in the 2020 Virtual University Cities Summit Hosted by IMLA
- Proposed Reforms: Police Service Dogs
- Justice in Policing Act of 2020
- Manning & Kass Responds to COVID-19
- Eugene Ramirez Authors Article for Daily Journal on Body-Worn Camera Videos
- Mannng & Kass Hosts Critical Incident Video Training
- Eugene P. Ramirez to Speak in a Diversity Panel Hosted by the Los Angeles Chapter of ABOTA
- Eugene P. Ramirez To Present at the TacOps East SWAT & Patrol Tactical Training Conference
- Eugene P. Ramirez and Tony M. Sain Named 2019 Top Litigators and Trial Attorneys by the Los Angeles Business Journal
- Eugene P. Ramirez To Teach At The HITS 2019 Seminar
- Manning & Kass Partners with Project ECHO
- Eugene P. Ramirez To Present in the Masters in Trial Program
- Eugene P. Ramirez to Present at the CSAC EIA Board of Directors Workshop
- Eugene Ramirez Appointed to Newly Created Public Safety Commission for the City of San Marino
- Eugene P. Ramirez To Speak at DRI Conference
- Eighteen Manning & Kass Attorneys Named 2017 Super Lawyers and Super Lawyers Rising Stars
- Manning & Kass Jumps 28 Spots on NLJ 500 List
- Clean Sweep for Manning & Kass Governmental Entity Liability Team in March
- Full Defense Victory in SWAT Team Shootout Case Garners Media Attention
- "Energy Weaponry" Case Expediently Dismissed
- Association for Los Angeles Deputy Sheriffs Quotes Gene Ramirez on Body Worn Cameras
- Twenty Manning & Kass Attorneys Named 2016 Super Lawyers and Super Lawyers Rising Stars
- Manning & Kass Celebrates 22nd Anniversary
- Manning & Kass Celebrates Los Angeles Business Journal's Corporate Counsel Awards
- Two Manning & Kass Founding Partners Honored as Los Angeles Business Journal Corporate Counsel Awards Finalists
- Former Police Officer and Firm Founding Partner Gene Ramirez Makes the Case for Cameras
- Gene Ramirez Discusses Body Worn Cameras on Al Jazeera Live
- The NTOA Announces Eugene P. Ramirez as New Legal Section Chair
- Manning & Kass Attorneys Named as 2015 Southern California Super Lawyers
- "Big Law, Big Lease" Covers Manning & Kass Lease Resigning, Los Angeles Business Journal
- Gene Ramirez Quoted on BWCs in Risk & Insurance Magazine
- Early Ambitions panning out at full-service Los Angeles Firm, The Daily Journal
- Gene Ramirez and Tony Sain at PARMA’s 40th Annual Conference for Risk Managers
- Whittier College School of Law, Juris Doctor
- Notes & Comments Editor, the Law Review
- Member, Moot Court Honors Board
- President, Student Bar Association.
- Recipient, Best Oral Advocate Award
- Recipient, Outstanding Moot Court Graduate Award
- California State University, Long Beach, Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, Minors in Criminal Justice and Public Policy